Picking the right recovery equipment for your 4WD is crucial. You need to be sure where and when you would be travelling in your vehicle and then choosing the most suitable equipment for your trips.
The number one reason people invest in a 4WD power winch is because they actually look good on the vehicle. Secondly they are one of the fastest and easiest method of getting unstuck when required. However, buying a winch might not be the only solution, there are other factors which must be considered as well. You never know where and when you might end up getting stuck. Keep in mind though that it’s going to be the most inconvenient and unexpected places. Even if you do find an anchor in the form of a tree it might just be a bit out of reach of your winch wire.
Therefore it is necessary that when you purchase a winch you also get the following gear to make the most of it.
4WD winch kit
A winch kit is one of the most essential equipment which all 4WD owners should have. It compromises of the following:
- It comes with a tree strap which not only help protect the tree but will help protect the wires of the winch as well.
- A pulley block which in turn increases the pulling power and also helps reduce the load on the winch.
- A pair of gloves which can help protect your hands
- A pair of shackles to help secure everything in place
- It I also compromises of a finger saver. As the name suggests it’s a small bent rod which allows you to put the wire into the spool without damaging your fingers.
Other pieces of equipment to buy along with the 4WD winch
- Besides the usual 4×4 winch, you also need to make use of a dampener or a blanket to put over the wire while it’s in use. In case the wire tends to break down, its in emergency situation. However, the heavy blanket would dampen down the wire and prevent it from flailing about and causing more serious damage.
- You also need to invest in a dual battery system. The winch might make use of a great deal of power. It needs to have enough power to pull three to four tones of weight with ease. If you just make use of a single battery you would be stuck deeper than you can imagine. You need to have battery backup which ensures that the winch works in perfect condition.
- You would need a winch bumper to house the expensive 4 WD winch which you have purchased.
- Plus an upgraded suspension would be needed immediately to help balance all the extra weight in front of the vehicle due to the presence of a winch.
Winches are necessary for people who work in critical environments where there is extra risk of getting stuck, a 4WD winch becomes a necessity.